Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Can I paint wood from cherry wood color to white?

I want to re-paint my kitchen from cherry wood color to white . Originally it was oak color, but now I think it is so dark and want to paint white. Looking for any advice. Thanks every one!Can I paint wood from cherry wood color to white?
I would remove the cabinet doors and if necessary, remove the hinges (you might want to replace them with a different color or style at this point as well).





I'd wash the cabinets and doors with a solution of TSP and then wipe them down with clean water and then dry them thoroughly.





I'd lightly sand the cabinets and doors just to scuff them a bit. Since cabinet doors are generally not very flat, you can use one of those sanding sponges that they sell to get in the cracks and grooves. You don't need to do a great job of sanding, just helps improve the paint adhering.





Prime, let dry and then paint (a couple of coats is a good idea) with a good semi-gloss or gloss interior paint.





Let everything dry and then re-install the cabinet doors.





One word of caution, we did this last year and love the way it looks, but white cabinets show the dirt and spills that occur in a kitchen quite well. Just one thing to consider.Can I paint wood from cherry wood color to white?
You must remove all the hardware first, to properly clean the panels of grease accumilations. Next you must assertain what the 'final existing finish' is. After determineing wheather it is 'varnish' or 'polyurethane' you must decide the appropiate 'next layer' to apply. Proper 'scuffing' is the next step to make sure that the final finish has proper adheasion and durabillity to withstand re-peatted cleanings. Enamel paint can now be adjusted to humidity and temperature fluxuations on a trustworthy basis for proper application and fluid smoothness in most circumstances. The thing is to maintain many of the most basic precautions of brush choice, timely application and spaced away air-times.
Yes, it is possible. The first step is to wash all the residue from the wood. Secondly, prime the cupboards with a good latex primer. Then paint your woodwork white. I've done this so many times I feel like I can do it in my sleep! I went from oak to white to hunter green and now a terra cotta color with dark green stencil (my counter tops are hunter green) and painted the walls a lighter color of the terra cotta.

No comments:

Post a Comment